ITNT – The US has escalated a clandestine program to sabotage Iranian missiles and rockets as part of an attempt to weaken the Islamic Republic’s military and cause economic damage.
The American program started under the George W. Bush administration, when the US began to integrate faulty parts into Iran’s aerospace supply chains. The program continued under the Obama administration but gradually tailed off in 2017 when it was revived under then-head of the CIA, Mike Pompeo.
Under Obama, the program was widened to target not only missiles but also space launchers.
The US was able to see the success of the program in one instance when an Iranian-manufactured rocket landed in Baghdad’s Green Zone and failed to detonate. A former senior official said that when the projectile was dismantled, sappers found a malfunctioning part which had been fed into the supply chain by the Americans.
The CIA declined to comment on the program.
The above paragraphs were not written today by ITNT News. They come from news reports by the New York Times and Times of Israel: “US said to widen ‘secret program’ to sabotage Iran’s missiles”, published February 14, 2019.